Monday, July 13, 2009

A new beaded bag for Yren

Making things for Yren keeps me occupied during the wait for her arrival. It took me all weekend to make this little bag for Yren, mostly because I didn't have a pattern, but just made it up as it went along, and because black thread is very hard to crochet with.

First I crocheted the three tiers of beaded rows just to see a sample of a people-size shawl pattern--didn't even count the beads, just strung them on the thread until I got tired of stringing. Ah, I love it when things go right--there were just enough beads to finish a third row! This little motif seemed like it could be a bag for Yren, so I just kept adding more half-double crochet rows until it was the right size.

It was made with #20 Lizbeth thread and a size 10 hook. The edging for the strap is very easy and in that size works well for ED scale. I had a little scrap of it left over, so I sewed it across the front.

Chain 3. Row 1: In third chain from hook: single crochet, chain 2, single crochet. Chain two and turn. Row 2: In chain 2 space: single crochet, chain 2, single crochet. Chain two and turn. Repeat row two until edging is desired length.

4 comments:

thelonglostwoods said...

Very cute! I have to had to forcefully refrain myself from creating anything new for Fern until she arrives - that way I'll know if it fits, and I might even get some drawing done in the meantime, I sure won't get any done once she arrives!!!

Paiva said...

When Fern arrives, you will do drawings and paintings of her, won't you? Because I'm really interested to see them, and I'm positive the other forum members are too.

aneemal said...

Yep, Monika, I just visited your blog and really admire your style - loose, but nicely formed!

Ruth, what a smart little bag. I have to learn how to crochet! :-D

Shadow Play said...

Aaaaw, it's lovely! I think it will suit her beautifully.