Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Poems for Enchanted Dolls #3

A solemn, fearsome disease is the "Waiting for Your Enchanted Doll to be Done" Fever, and I have an acute case. Can't look at a book, can't stand to work; all I can do is ponder pairings of wistful poems with pictures of other people's dolls. I chose this Yeats poem because when his narrator says "a fire is in his head" I know exactly how he feels.



The Song of Wandering Aengus

I went out to the hazel wood,
because a fire was in my head,
and cut and peeled a hazel wand,
and hooked a berry to a thread;
and when white moths were on the wing,
and moth-like stars were flickering out
I dropped the berry in a stream
and caught a little silver trout.

When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire aflame,
but something rustled on the floor,
and someone called me by my name:
it had become a glimmering girl
with apple blossom in her hair
who called me by my name and ran
and faded through the brightening air.

Though I am old with wandering
through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone
and kiss her lips and take her hands;
and walk among long dappled grass
and pluck till time and times are done
the silver apples of the moon,
the golden apples of the sun.

Poem by William Butler Yeats;
photograph of Nati's Alma by Chad Isley

2 comments:

monika viktoria said...

You know what's funny to me? In the poem he speaks of a pale, silvery girl with an "apple bloosom in her hair", the photo you chose is Nati's pearl, called "alma", which in my language... means apple : )

And I know well of the fever you speak of : ( I am inflicted with it too, I can't concentrate on anything but find myself refreshing my email inbox for the long awaited email that she's done! I'm sure I'll hear from you first though, your girl will be done before mine! argh!!! : P

Paiva said...

Wow, that is so neat! I had no idea "alma" meant "apple" in any language! I just loved that picture of her, with her hair rippling like a waterfall.

I'm going to email you INSTANTLY when I hear Yren's done, so you'll know Fern's nearly done too. I fear Annika's boy is being stubborn and giving Marina a hard time--but only because he wants to be perfect for her. :-)