Thursday, July 30, 2009

Poems for Enchanted Dolls #5


If you were coming in the Fall,
I'd brush the Summer by
with half a smile and half a spurn
as Housewives do a Fly.

If you were coming in a year,
I'd wind the months in balls
and put them each in separate Drawers
until their time befalls.

If only Centuries delayed,
I'd count them on my hands,
subtracting, till my fingers fell
into Van Diemans land.

If certain when this life were out
that yours and mine should be,
I'd toss it yonder, like a Rind,
and taste Eternity.

But now, all ignorant of the length
of time's uncertain wing,
it goads me, like the Goblin Bee
that will not state its sting.


Poem by Emily Dickinson. B&W detail of color photo by Chad Isley of Gwendolyn.
I've always loved this poem about separation and longing; it's maybe a bit over-stated when applied to waiting for word about one's Enchanted Doll, but it suits a mood and fills a need :-)

3 comments:

Shadow Play said...

I guess this means you haven't gotten your previews yet? I know exactly how you feel! It's horrible having really no idea whatsoever of when to expect the awaited email. Hang in there!

thelonglostwoods said...

*sigh* I know I know! Double for me, not only am I waiting for my Fern, but my love has also been on a long business trip since April, still gone. Wah! I can certainly affiliate to the feelings of waiting described so eloquently here!!!
I had another creepy ED dream last night too!

Paiva said...

Thank you for the tea and sympathy! :-) Let's imagine ourselves five years from now, looking back on this time and saying, "Remember how strung out we were, before our EDs arrived?" And while we're imaging things, let's say they all have sisters (or girlfriends) by then, too. :-D