Saturday, July 18, 2009

Window Shopping

I love to think about and plan clothes for my ED. Last spring I was picking up lunch downtown when I saw some dresses in a shop window that just cried out to be made for Yren. After lunch I hurried back with the office camera and took pictures of them (can you see my reflection?) I was thinking the soutache braid trim on this one could be mimicked by chain stich embroidery on the bodice.

Another thing I love to do is go through the sewing catalogs for Vogue, Butterick, Simplicity and McCalls, and when they're on sale for 99 cents then all the patterns I like come home with me. It's easier for me to create the ED-size pattern pieces if I have the full-size ones handy to refer to.

This Hilary Duff pattern has me thinking that Yren would look very cute in leggings and a mini-dress. It doesn't include a pattern for leggings, but I just happen to have several in my stash already.

And then of course, there's the fashion magazines! So far Elle is my favorite for mining ED clothes ideas. I have a notebook stuffed with them!

As you can probably guess, I don't design clothes, I just translate them from human size to doll size. But in the process, usually some changes occur, and after making something once, then I get ideas about how I could make it differently the second time.

So far one single theme has not emerged for Yren's wardrobe. It's going to be a mixture, I think, of modern pieces like the mini-dress, historical costumes, and ethnic regalia. But once Yren comes home to me, we might find ourselves drawn to a particular style for her.

5 comments:

aneemal said...

She's gonna be one lovely lady! Her personality already shines through your ideas and enthusiasm :)

I'd love to know how to shrink knitting patterns... do you just divide the number of stitches by a particular ratio?!

Shadow Play said...

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you clothe your girl! Those outfits look beautiful, especially that last Hillary Duff dress. If you ever decide to take commissions on that one, I'm first in line! (I can't sew for beans...)

Paiva said...

I'm just getting started in knitting, so I'm not sure for to shrink patterns either! But I'm starting with a book called "Knits for Barbie Doll" by Nicky Epstein in the hope that these patterns will be easy to fit to an ED and will teach me how to adapt other designs.

Metallumia said...

I too am looking forward to seeing Yren's wardrobe! I am sure she will be dressed so beautifully!

I hope you don't mind, I've added you to my blog list ! *hugs*

Paiva said...

Thanks, Metallumia! I've added yours to mine too!