Monday, August 3, 2009

A Pretty Sundress

I've had my eye on this design for awhile because it looks like an easy way to get started in fashioning pretty dresses for an Enchanted Doll. One has to start somewhere, and this one would make a nice plain canvas for working embellishments on. (Just bought my first copy of Belle Armoire and now I'm hooked!)

Now it sometimes happens that a design I'm sure will be easy turns out to be a monster. Greek chitons looked easy too, but I tussled a whole weekend with one and gave it up with major issues still unresolved.

But undeterred, let us venture into new territories even if there be monsters here.

You would start with fitting the band around the doll's ribcage, yes? Easy peasy. Then two triangles, darted or gathered at the bottom, for the bust. Narrow ribbons to tie around the neck for a backless dress would be easy. Then a rectangle for the skirt to gather slightly into the band.

Seems like it would be very easy. Am I trying it out on Tyler Wentworth to see if the concept works before bruiting it about on the Internet? No I am not. We'll just have to see how it goes when Yren is here to fit. I can't do much without her--just dream and spend money, basically.

2 comments:

thelonglostwoods said...

i like the look of the little one in the bottom left hand corner, with the blooming sleeves and shorter length, I envision it in soft silk and lace, with a pair of lace tights... cute!!

Metallumia said...

Ooh! I like that long dress as I am partial to long skirts and dresses! You make it sound so easy ..easy enough for me to even contemplate on trying it....! I am sure yours will come out very nicely!