Here's Yren being fitted for a new wig cap. Of course the idea is to create an actual wig on this wig cap. We're thinking we want one similar to her long brown one, but shorter--maybe shoulder length. After this stage was finished, I mixed some acrylic paint and painted the cap to match the honey-brown mohair Yren and I have chosen for it.
But last night I discovered something interesting: the wig cap as-is, when worn underneath her other wigs, keeps them nice and snug and they don't slide around. So it seems wise to just leave this wig cap the way it is and make another one for the wig.
Made this way, the wig cap does fit well, but it's maybe a bit too limp to support a wig. I made it from light-weight Pellon interfacing, thinking the acrylic paint would stiffen it up, but it didn't. Heavier weight Pellon is a possibility, but it would probably be harder to fit and sew.
So what I thought of trying instead is a coating of flexible glue on it. For that, I'll have to protect Yren's head with a layer of plastic wrap, secured around her neck, then put the wig cap over that and apply the glue to it. After it dries, it should retain the right shape... However I'm not looking forward to this process because I don't want to cover up Yren's face for so long!
So we're going to procrastinate and go shopping first--have to find that peacock-green silk charmeuse for her Poiret underdress! And maybe while we're at the fabric store, we'll find a medium weight Pellon that will not need extra stiffening and we can avoid that unpleasant process.