Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Poems for Enchanted Dolls #13

Dvonya


In the town of Odessa
There is a garden
And Dvonya is there...
Dvonya, whom I love
Though I have never been
in Odessa.

I love her black hair, and eyes
As green as a salad
That you gather in the
Woods in August
Between the roots of alder,
Her skin, with an odor of  wildflowers.

We understand each other perfectly.
We are cousins twice removed.
In the garden we drink tea,
As evening falls and the lights begin to twinkle.

But this is only a dream.
I am not there with my thin hands
And citified speech,
And the old woman is not there
Peering between the curtains.

We are only phantoms, bits of ash,
Like yesterday's newspaper
Or the smoke of chimneys.
All that passed long ago
On a summer night in Odessa.

Poem by Louis Simpson. Photograph of Emerald from the Enchanted Doll website.

2 comments:

monika viktoria said...

Wow, ruth, what a chilling poem. So perfect!

This paragraph in particular really suits emerald:
I love her black hair, and eyes
As green as a salad
That you gather in the
Woods in August
Between the roots of alder,
Her skin, with an odor of wildflowers.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited, I have finally found the poem that my daughter was named after. Even though she was born with blond hair and brown eyes. I did add and "e" to make her name the same amount of letters as my first name. Devonya Sasha. Thank you, Deborah