Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Presents Part 1: for me

Merry Christmas! What a pleasure it is to say it. To the more people, the better. Tune in next week and hear me wish you Happy New Year!

The highlight of my childhood Christmases was a new doll under the tree. That's the only time we got dolls; Christmas dolls were the only kind there were. I can remember four: a 12 inch Tiny Tears, a 21 inch baby doll, a Chatty Cathy, and a Barbie. (Update: Just remembered we got 12" Thumbelinas one year too--the kind that didn't wriggle. That's five dolls.)

Barbie was the last one, because my father believed that if a girl asked for a Barbie, a "grown-up" doll, she must have outgrown dolls altogether. So my Barbie year was the year he told me and my older sister, who had asked for a Tammy doll, that we would no longer get a doll at Christmas ever again. Don't judge him too harshly--he really was a good man. He just didn't understand dolls.

And anyway, you see what comes of telling little girls they'll have no more Christmas dolls. They become collectors; they grow up to spend more money on a doll than their father spent on a car; they have the last laugh.

Now that I think of it, the year I began collecting dolls was the same year my father died, 1984. That was when I discovered Sasha dolls, and wanted one so much, but they were *gasps* $70 at that time! But I was pregnant, and gave myself permission to buy a doll that my baby, who might be a girl, could play with. And I did have a girl, and bought six more Sashas, and she did play with them, very carefully so they are all still nice. Sashas got me used to spending more than $14.95 on a doll.

All this was to tell you that I've bought a new Barbie doll. I know--you want to ask why a person who is lucky enough to own an Enchanted Doll wants a Barbie. Well, I wanted a Christmas doll. And I found one that was just exactly what I wanted at a good price. So I bought her.

Here she is. She doesn't have any clothes yet. I started making a dress for her today, but surprise surprise, it turned out to fit Yren! So that's how we went from Christmas Presents Part 1 to Christmas Presents Part 2.

BTW, I was very happy with the business that made this doll available and sold her to me. It's http://www.dreamhousedolls.com/ out of Dixon, Missouri. They have an amazing selection!  This photograph of Barbie is from their website.

1 comment:

monika viktoria said...

I *loved* this post!!!!!!

especially this paragraph:

"And anyway, you see what comes of telling little girls they'll have no more Christmas dolls. They become collectors; they grow up to spend more money on a doll than their father spent on a car; they have the last laugh."

LOL.... :-D