Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Yren needs help with her outfit!

I made this skirt for Yren to wear, but I just don't know what to make for her to wear on top. Does anybody have some suggestions?



It's supposed to be an outfit for her to wear in the summer when she walks around outdoor antique fairs, which she loves to do. So she can have the hat and some sandals and a great, slouchy bag to carry, and maybe a shawl... but obviously the look is lacking something essential!

My plan is to sew her at least one of the ideas, if I'm able to, and maybe more, because she definitely needs more clothes.

It doesn't even have to be a top, per se... The skirt hasn't been finished yet--there's no hem or waistband--that's just a scrap-cloth "belt" I pinned in place, so it can be short or long, or be worn at places other than around her waist. It's big enough for her to wear just under the bust or she can even wear it chemise-style or as a strapless dress. Also, I have lots of that fabric left, if your idea calls for more of it.

I've owned that fabric for years, saving it for "something special."  As you can imagine, Yren has exclusive rights to *everything* I've been saving for something special! But the fabric is rather stiff; I tried draping it on her, but it was just not going to gather up well at all. After awhile I got a bright idea: a fabric that won't gather will pleat! So I pleated it and like it very much. But that's the end of my bright ideas--now I'm hoping for help from you!

11 comments:

eiko82 said...

I think that a crocheted green spagetti-strap top would go nicely with that skirt.

Love the fabric of that skirt.

monika viktoria said...

Mmmmm such a great look... modern day gypsy girl, that's what I look like when I go out on saturdays to visit the young designer and handmade markets.... with such a beautiful skirt, simple would be best... and yren looks so amazing in red.... maybe just a simple red top. Either "tube" style, or a little strappy singlet.... or a cream top with TINY red buttons (if you can find one!!!!)

I love this look for her....

ms. noxy said...

heee, great suggestions, I also imagined a crocheted top, but I pictured it to be cream.. then I thought more, and decided a white cropped peasant blouse would probably look lovely too! I tried looking for an example, and the best one I could find was: here.
Basically a peasant top with long flowy arms and a cropped tummy.

Kirsten said...

Such a pretty skirt, and I love it with that little red hat too. I would go with a green top too, but have it a little short. Show off her mid-drift a little. I don't know which style of top, I like the peasant top idea, but the spaghetti strap top sounds good. Maybe try both and give Yren a choice of beautiful tops!

Annina said...

this photo is so cute, i love it!

i'm also thinking that a peasant blouse would be cute with this skirt, and keeping the skirt as long as possible!

but a crocheted simple top would be cute also, like Kirsten i vote for several tops to give Yren the choice!

~Annina

Paige said...

I love the idea of this type of top. http://www.flickr.com/photos/gianniperry/4269469487/

I'm not a fashion person so I don't know what it's called. And of course the color it totally wrong. But I think that shape would look beautiful with the kick butt skirt you made.

Paiva said...

Oooo, I am loving these ideas! Yren wants them all, and so do I! And she, greedy thing, wants more skirts so she can wear more combinations!

♥ Thank you to everyone for your help.♥ There's a wonderful, rainy weekend ahead of me here--perfect for spending the day in my Sewing Parlour, making things for Yren. Hope to have at least one or two things made and photographed very soon!

richila said...

I love the idea of a silk scarf as a blouse that she can wrap as a tube top of twist and tie as a halter.

undermytree said...

Ruth, where did you get her red hat from? i'm wondering because Iðunn says she wants a hat too, so i'll either have to learn how to make her one or find one to buy! :)
~Annina

Paiva said...

Richila: Welcome! Thanks for visiting our blog and commenting! That is a great idea about a scarf; somewhere I have a book on different ways to tie them...

Annina: I crocheted the hat--it started out to be a snood, but it made a better hat. :-). Do you know how to crochet? I'll post the pattern, if you like.

undermytree said...

that is such tiny crocheting Ruth, wow!
i actually think it makes a great hat, such a unique style!
it has been a while since i crocheted, i'm not sure if we even have any crochet "hooks" (?), i'm better at knitting i think. but if i should take up crocheting again i'll come back to ask you for the pattern! :)
~Annina