Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Gallico's " Enchanted Doll" Short Story

So this is the way it happened:

We have a new iPad at work, just sitting out on the table, and the boss asks us each to play with it and get used to it a little bit so that we can use it for "roving reference." (That's when the reference librarian walks around the library asking people if they need help, rather than sitting behind the big desk waiting for people to come to her.)

And when I picked it up to play with it (and it really is fun--and cute) what else would an obsessed ED fan search on google but "Enchanted Doll"?  So that's how I came to see a few sentences on Marina's blog that I had never seen before. I would have sworn I'd read every column inch of it many times over, but no--I had never before seen this part:
When I needed to come up with brand name to give my dolls an identity, I decided to name them after Paul Gallico’s fictional, short story called “Enchanted Doll”, where a young woman creates dolls with so much love that they enchant people at first sight with their compelling, delicate, life-like beauty.
And this is my goal also.
Well, that was a surprise, because I've read Gallico for years--it must have been Junior High when I read Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris for the first time. But this short story, and the collection it is from, I had never heard of before. I'm so curious how Marina discovered it.

One of the nice things about working in a library is that when you hear about a book you want to read, you can march yourself downstairs and see if it's on the shelf. In this instance, it was! (I skipped the part where I got a little help from the catalog identifying which short story collection it was in.) 

And now that I have it I'm kind of afraid to read it... There is just something so powerful about the concept of those enchanting dolls. I know from reading other Gallico books that he writes well about magic (one of his titles is The Man Who Was Magic)  so I should trust him to do justice to them.
The whole prospect goes back even further into childhood when I read the "Land of Live Dolls" books and other stories about dolls who became real. Though less subtle than fiction for adults, they were still about forming a personal, intimate connection to a very special doll.

But I shall read it--I'm far too curious not to!

2 comments:

undermytree said...

oh Ruth this is so funny, when i read this paragraph of Marina's blog i was "enchanted" and first thought to myself, i have to check this author and the story out! but then i had that same feeling, a worry that it might not be as magical as i would want it to be.
i then forgot about all this but i'm glad you reminded me again, i do want to check the author and the story out.
even if i wouldn't like it as much as i'd want to, i will still always love Enchanted Dolls, and even without reading it yet, i feel Marina does exactly that, make magical dolls!
~Annina

monika viktoria said...

Ruth, you read myu mind... I've been searching for a copy of that book ever since I read that sentance on marina's bio.... but I can't find any copies on ebay/amazon/etc.... please let me know if you find the text... oh.. so it's a short story inside "further confessions of a story writer" ???

I did see that one for sale... I'll have to get a copy!!!